Bollywood, Tollywood, Kollywood ... I love them all!

Friday, March 11, 2011

Jhootha Hi Sahi (2010)


Directed by: Abbas Tyrewala
Cast: John Abraham, Pakhi Tyrewala, Raghu Ram, Omar Khan, Alishka Varde, George Young

Fear not, I haven't abandoned the SI fandom. Just needed a break and see what Bollywood's been up to. To be honest, I was debating with myself whether to continue this blog. It's not that I don't don't want to share my thoughts on Indian movies anymore, but I realized writing in my first language is much more pleasant and rewarding..

But then I looked back at all the movies of 2010 that I've enjoyed the most. They were all flops. Seriously, each and every one of them.

So.. what the fish? Is my taste so poor? Or just completely different to what others like and enjoy about bolly movies? Anyways, I just wanted to cry out into the dark and defend them with all my might. Hence my passion for writing was reignated :D Jhootha Hi Sahi is just the first on the list, more to come later. I promise it won't take me months to update my blog.

I love the promo-pictures of JHS. Expect a lot of them in this review :p

I never took John Abraham to be much of an actor. Pretty face and model looks were what came to my mind when I saw him in any movie (he pulled it off in Dostana Par excellance! That movie would have gone down the drain without Abhi's comedy and Priyanka's 'bikini'). And although I enjoyed Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Na, the director's previous movie, it just didn't have anything that would make me want to rewatch it. Not to mention the love story didn't work for me at all. I don't even know why I sat down to watch this movie. Must have been the shortage of internet connection. To get back on topic: Why hasn't anyone told me before that John CAN act? Is it a secret? If so it's been too well kept and I'm going to break the ice on this matter.

Let me introduce the characters and plot first..

Meet Sidharth, a mousy and quiet clerk working in a little Indian bookstore somewhere in London. Here he spends his days with his best buddy, Omar, trying to sell not only books, but pickles as well. They are greeted every morning by Amit, who just happens to know the most disgusting news. He's a real talent when it comes to ruining one's breakfast appetite. There's a girl in Sid's group of friends, Aliya, Omar's sister - a very caring, very no-nonsense, and VERY pregnant girl. You can count on her Japanese boyfriend Nick to come up with the most imaginative ways of proposing to her. Without any success, might I add. Then there's Uday, who always brings his latest boyfriend over to Aliya for dinner, hoping to get her approval. Also without any success. And the clique wouldn't be complete without Krutika, Sid's bossy girlfriend, who's up in the air most of the time - working as a stewardess. Sid's biggest adventures consist of watching National Geographic... and eventually falling asleep on the couch.

Not very exciting, right? So when he gets three suicidal calls in one night, he takes it as a bad joke. That is, until he comes to know that his phone number has been printed on a suicide helpline for Indians living in London. Seeing as he can't imagine anyone staying over in his flat, he takes it upon himself to help these poor souls calling him every night, not letting him get any sleep.

Then Mishka calls, friendship is formed, and the lies, mayham, and fun can REALLY begin! Because this is a romantic comedy that manages to be genuinely funny.

Ten minutes into the movie, I was already disturbing the peace and quiet of the room, laughing  out loud. I didn't know anything about the plot beforehand and the little I knew about the cast I'd already forgotten. Strange, that these movies, where I don't know anything about the plot or cast, are the ones that entertain me the most. The comedy in Jhootha Hi Sahi is not of the "in your face", masala-type. The humour is mostly based on dialogues and physical reactions  to what's going on. Simply put, the comedy works. It's largely due to the set of friends. They were a riot! It was nice to see a rom-com that had a bigger supporting cast, and one that wasn't there just for the heck of it - they were active participants. Whether it was to advise, to bicker or just to join in on the fun, they were ready for everything.

It's been a while since I've seen great actors like these ones, together in one movie, playing off each other with such ease and palpable enjoyment. It's important for me to see that the actors are having fun sharing the screen. Omar was one of the best friends a leading man could wish for. I'd love to see the outtakes :) And the dialogues! Pakhi Tyrewala si one talented little lady. She's the one behind the story, screenplay, dialogues (together with her husband) and she played the main role too. She gave a great performance for a (second) debut, but I thought she looked a bit uncomfortable in some scenes. On the other hand, it was SO nice to see a leading lady that really looked like an ordinary woman, no model looks and attitude. I've no idea what her age is, but she looked really good opposite John. Who, by the way, was totally irresistible with the glasses and stutter.

She's such a shortie! :D So sweet!
Theirs is not an overblown, dramatic love story. It was slow, withough any mindblowing chemistry, starting with friendship and changing into love. Besides, they were botch such dorks! :D Their insecurities and bad decisions just made me love them more. Even though I had a certain idea where the story might be going, it still managed to surprise me. Add in a cameo by a Southie star who's sporting the worst facial hair EVER and the picture is complete. (and pssst, but I totally believe that Mishka was in an abusive relationship before she got dumped).

One of the best and funniest moments in the movie - Mishka comes to Sid's store
The music by Rahman fitted really well into the story, but doesn't stand so well on its own. Maiya Yashoda is a fun little track with pretty picturization and I like listening to it, but the soundtrack isn't on a constant repeat in my computer. Just some sweet, easy to listen to tunes. I have to mention the background music too, because that was simply wonderful. I'd love to have a soundtrack with just the bgm score. Apropo, picturization> remember Sid and Mishka being dorks? Nothing illustrates this better than Cry Cry and Pam Para. :D

So, guys, thank you for making this wonderful movie. Mr. Abbas Tyrewala, don't get discouraged! Please, continue to do movies. Thank you for making me laugh and smile so much. Thank you for making a romantic comedy that made justice to the genre. Thank you for making something fresh. And thank you for putting John into those glasses. Seriously, they rule. I'm getting a pair for myself :D

I miss you already!

4 comments:

  1. super duper like to your review. Jhootha hi sahi was an awesome movie. I watched it almost 3 years ago but still remember the witty dialogues and the simplicity of its characters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the review! JHS is one of my favorite movies, EVER!
    But i actually like the song Maiyya Yashoda. It's one of those few songs that play on loop in my mp3. I also like the chorus in the song Call Me Dil.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is the book's name john suggests to mishka?? Something chanver??

    ReplyDelete